Friday, February 11, 2011

A Great Birthday Today.

It was an early wake-up this morning. Not because the alarm was set earlier, but because I think I was feeling a bit apprehensive about celebrating the Mass today. I still had to prepare the homily and spend time with the prayers of the Mass.

But all went well. The only difference from celebrating any other time was a bit more of a dependence on the books. I had enough time to prepare and read over the homily quite a few times. I needed to get the cadences and the rhythm right. Inflections and intonation are quite different in French. And while I can read it well enough, to speak what I am reading and make it sound natural is still far from perfect. But I think it was fine. In the nearly 4 weeks here, I have not heard any of the homilies which were from the personal experience of the preacher. Believe me, there is some very fine preaching going on here. But this community is not a parish, it is not such a diverse group as a parish community. There are not the great variety of experiences, or variety of ages, or levels of spiritual development that one finds in a parish. The community here is a group of religious men and women who live and work together, with a staff and people who come because they already have a profound love for the devotion at this place. Or they are here for a deep spiritual experience. I thought about that as I prepared and realized that I had to preach out of my experience. And if that meant talking about parish life, then it had to be. That is my priesthood, and my day to day ministry. And if it helped this wonderful comunity understand that there are communities that have a totally different spirituality and charism, then so be it. In general, I think my preaching was successful.

After the Mass, I went to the friars residence and joined them for a great lunch. Endive salad with deviled eggs, big bowls of mussels steamed in white wine, onions and garlic, (classic northern French and Belgian dish) and hot crispy french fries, The classic cheese tray and fruit for dessert. Coffee, (think espresso) in the living room.

We talked a great deal about the travel of the relics of St. Mary Magdelene to California. Frere Francois is leaving tomorrow for the first leg, Frere Thomas will take over next week for the second half. They were able to answer my questions about the practicality of transporting through customs and TSA, a skull encased in gold, and human bones encased in glass. There were letters signed by the papal nuncio, the local bishop, and all the customs documents through the embassies arranged so that the transportation and handling of the relics can be done with the appropriate respect for their sanctity. Interesting process. Check out the itinerary that was posted a couple of postings ago.

After the noon meal, I went to my room to answer the number of emails I received for my birthday. Later in the afternoon, Frere Henri told me he was going into Plan D'Aups to the post office. Would I like to join him. He told me of another religious house down the road, (which I had walked and driven by a few times.) There is a grotto built for Our Lady of Lourdes. It was a beautiful setting with the grotto opening out onto the valley below and the cliffs of La Sainte-Baume across. After his errand to the post office, we returned to the hotelerie, a short nap, prayers, dinner, and back to Skype Isabel Andrade and friends at Grace and Ed Medeiros' house. Then it was Skype my mother. Write this blog and then to bed.

It was great to see Isabel, Mary, Lilian, Gabriela, Inez, Ed and Grace, and Ella. There was a cake with two candles, blue for me, and pink for Isabel. I could think of no one better that Isabel to blow out my candle.

A great birthday with many remembrances from friends old and new. Who could ask for more?

Blessings everyone and Bonne Nuit