Thursday, February 17, 2011

First Conference of the Institute:

The first series of lectures and conferences began today with Msgr. Dewane, a retired priest who works at the North American College as a spiritual director, who gave us our openening talk today; the first talk not on business and life at the seminary. His talk was about the process we are looking forward to at this sabbatical experience. I don't think I can answer all these questions completely right now. There are many questions that will require the weeks ahead to formulate adequate answers.

 He offered us three challenges:

Challenge # 1. What do you hope to get out of this sabbaical?

He suggested we write out our aswers in a journal to summarize our responses. I will be using this blog to do this. "You have come here for a reason", he said. "Why have you come here"?
     I think I have come here because after 28 years of ministry, there is some of the spark that first called me to priesthood that is not as bright as it had been. I am not doing as much personal prayer as I used to, although I must say that my appreciation and celebration of Eucharist is stronger than it has ever been. I have a much more profound understanding of what the assembly does together when we pray Eucharist than when I was newly ordained.
     I have let some of my study fall behind. I need to review things I have studied before and renew my understanding of the church's teachings on many topics. Some of it will be refining what I already understand, and some will be a complete refresher of the things I have forgotten.

Challenge # 2. What is the spirituality proper to the dioscesan clergy?

     This is a question I have struggled with for a long time. I interrupted Msgr. today to offer a reflection that I have always considered when I thought of this question.

For us as diocesan priests, we were trained at seminaries that were structured as quasi monasteries. But we are not monks. We are not called to a monastic life. My rectory life is hardly monastic. My parish life is hardly calling me to the life of a monk. And yet was are trained to pray as monks, we are taught that community like monks is important, we are indoctrinated to monastic forms of spirituality. And yet, we are encouraged to give witness in the world to people who are in the world. It's somewhat schizophrenic to be trained in one way of life and expected to minister in a totally different kind of life. My conclusion is that there is really no well-developed spirituality of diocesan priesthood. There is not a real model for us.

He offered the following charactieristics:

Participation in the ministry of the Bishop.
And what is the ministry of the Bishop? It is the care of a community of faithful over a period of time. That therefore is the basis for the ministry of the diocesan priest.

The general tools of spirituality acvailable to all Christians.
I like this one very much because it reinforces what I have alway believed and that there is not a separate set of rules, or religious practices for priests and laity. We are all called to holiness in the world. And like all Christians, we must realize that all devotions, all forms of prayer and worship will not move every person in the same way. We must explore and develop each our own form of spirituality and allow our life and actions and thoughts to be formed and shaped by it. I think I have heard myself say this before, to my self and to communities. It is not necessary that we all have the same devotions, the same style of prayer, or even the same preferences. What is important is that we all make some effort to know what spiritual exercises are available to us and to use what make us better Christians; what will make us better disciples.

The spirituality is determined by the community we serve.
Our spiritual life should be influenced by our ministry. As diocesan priests, we are not always called to specialize in particular fields. In the world of ministry, we are general practioners. Some may be called to hospital work, or youth work, or teaching - ane the list goes on. But the diocesan priest is called to be and to do all these things. As so the prayer life is influenced by circumstances in the lives of the people who call upon their pastor to minister in a variety of ways. And so a variety of prayer styles may be in order. For me personally, the celebration of Eucharist, especially the Sunday assembly is the heart of my prayer life. 

Challenge # 3: Do you, every day, have the opportunity to do what you best?

Msgr. said, "From cradle to grave, we devote more time to our shortcomings than to our strengths. We spend our lives trying to repair flaws, while our strengths lie dormant and neglected. We destroy someone by asking them to do something everyday they are not good at."

It was a good conference: And there was lot of material to reflect on. I will continue to do that and bring all these things to prayer.

The remainder of the day was presentations by the nursing staff at the seminary, the librarian, and the travel agent. I enjoyed the travel agent. with all the trips that are planned in the Institute.

After dinner, three other priests and I went for a gelato run. First of many I"m sure.

Tonight will be an early night because tomorrow morning will be an early morning. We have Mass in the crypt at St. Peters' Basilica, followed by a group picture in the middle of St. Peter's Square. The rest of the day will be free.

I have no idea what will happen to report tomorrow night. Just have to wait and see.


Good night all.

Tonight