Monday, February 21, 2011

Academic Day Today

Hi Everybody,
Not much touring today. Mostly classes and meetings.
The day started with Morning Prayer and Mass from 8:45 to 10:00am. We had a two hour lecture with coffee break in between on the new English translations of the Mass which will be implemented in December of  2011. This was material I have already studied with a large workshop in Boston several months ago. But today, the same presenter, Msgr. Anthony Sherman, of the Brooklyn Diocese, taught the classes. Even though I have already heard his presentation, there was still so much to reflect on. And because there are so few of us compared to the huge crowd in Boston, we could ask questions and generate some great discussion that was impossible in the large workshop crowd.

After the workshops, it was down to the seminary for lunch. We take our lunch, or pranzo, as the Italians call it, down at the seminary each day. It is always great to dine with the students. I am meeting quite a few and they are very inquisitive about my vocation, my parish, and my ministry. There are 220 here who will eventually be ordained for the church in the USA. I have met some fine young men and have enjoyed the time with them so far.

After lunch I went into the auditorium to practice. I was there for nearly 2 and half hours. One of the students came by and started talking and asked if I could play some particular music. He handed me a book of music arranged for violin solo and piano accompaniment. Looking at this music told me he is a very accomplished violinist. He asked if I would practice with him. His name is Ian, and is from the diocese of Norwich, CT. After a few days of practicing my parts, we will get together and play. The time here just keeps getting better and better. Every day there are wonderful opporunities to meet some very talented people. Another student, Matthew, was practicing at another piano. I gave him some techniques of stretching his fingers and hands when he showed me what he was doing to prepare to practice. All in all, a great time every day.

After my practice session, there was a meeting for those of us who are participants in the Israel trip in late March. Travel plans, hotels, security issues, and programs were all on the agenda. This promises to be another great experience.

Dinner followed the meeting, and a gathering of priests in our common room for some uprorious time together. I'm getting to know many of my colleagues on sabatical here in Rome. The blessings just keep heaping up every day.

As for now, it is late and I am heading for bed.
Good night all.