Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thank you for the beautiful celebration

Thanks to everyone for the beautiful "leave-taking" celebration last Wednesday. The Lilly Endownment asked the question, "How will the congregation celebrate the pastor's leave taking and return?" I could think of no better way than to gather as a parish family and celebrate the most important thing we do as Catholic Christians - Eucharist. The happy coincidence that it also took place on the feast day of our patron, St. John Neumann, made it all the more special. I was very much moved by Father Rodney's leading the whole congregation in the beautiful prayer for a pilgrim. To see all of you with your hands extended in that ancient gesture of blessing was a graced moment for me. Father Rodney's explanation that because we are all baptized into the priesthood of Jesus Christ, we all have the priviledge of calling down the grace of God upon one another. That moment of prayer will remain with me and travel with me over the next few months. I am also moved by the pledge of prayers on the calendar which many of you signed. This has been copied onto the website as a sign of our congregation's union in prayer. I will access that calendar each day to see who is praying for me and reminder of my own prayers for you.
I am still 5 days away from my departure. Preparations continue. I pray that God will bless us all and renew us in holiness.