Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Arrived safe and sound

I arrived Monday morning safe and sound in Paris, checked into the hotel - all without incident.
First things first - lunch. A great little restaurant called "O Philos Off" (I think from now on I will use italics for all the French and Italian words that will be included in this blog) The decor in the entire place is books - wall to wall, floor to ceiling - like dining in a classic library. The waiter was very chatty, not a lot of people in the place. His suggestion was a board of "charcuterie" (sliced meats and sausages with local cheeses) with glass of house red wine. It was a good recommendation.  After lunch, I went explroing the neighborhood around the hotel which is close to the train station, Le Gare de Lyon. I had never been in this area of Paris before except to pass through underground on the Metro to make a connection. The Gare de Lyon Metro station is a major hub connecting other parts of the city. After resting a while, I went out for some dinner. I chose the restaurant across the street from the hotel, La Nouvelle Epoque. A plate of the traditional cassoulet. Duck breast confit, sausage, stewed together with white beans. A half-bottle of of 2008 Bourgueil - Prestige et Tradition (I think this blog will also document - maybe more for myself - the wines and food I discover here).
A good night sleep brings me to this morning when I am preparing to board the train for Marseille. I am meeting Francoise et Jean-Francois Garde, friends of Janet and Paul Mathieu. They will pick me up at the train station, and have graciously invited me to stay at their home tonight. Tomorrow they will take me to La Sainte-Baume, about an hour away from their home.