Saturday, January 29, 2011

I'm Thinking of Joining the French Foreign Legion

I'm thinking of joining the French Foreign Legion.

You would not believe who served at table today in the salle de pelerins.

The general of the French Foreign Legion. I mean it. The head honcho, I mean like the head general of the Marines in the USA serving soup to pilgrims at LaSalette in Attleboro. I am not kidding. This is the kind of people La Sainte-Baume attracts as volunteers. I thought they were pulling my leg. M. Emile et Mme. Gaelle Lardeux, who came for me today to tour church organs, and to join them at their home for dinner, live on the base of the FFL in the city of Aubagne. Emile Lardeux is an officer and in charge of the music, bands, and ceremonies on the base. He is also organist at a local church. He confirmed it: the General and his wife, who I had lunch with last week, and through whom I met Mme. Lardeux, (I know its complicated, but not quite a soap opera) were here to take their monthly Saturday to wait on tables for the pilgrims at the retreat center. I was told they would grab me in a minute if I wanted to join and serve as a chaplain; no age restriction like the US military chaplains have. (Do you think I'd look good in one those pill-box hats with the neck scarf flying behind it?)

Well actually, I have no intention of joining the French Foreign Legion. But I am impressed with the devotion here. The people who are committed to sharing their faith and giving witness to the blessings that God has given them is a beautiful thing to see. And of course, I see that in East Freetown too. I have not forgotten what the pastor at St-Zacharie told me, "Give thanks to God for his blessings." I have every day.

M. and Mme. Lardeux arrived this morning, even though they had to drive through a heavy snowstorm at these upper elevations from the pouring rain at the lower elevations. The two churches we were to visit were locked so unfortunately there was no organ playing but there was lots of talk of music. They brought me to the sea coast towns of Cassis and Ciotat. Along the boardwalk of Ciotat, an old shipbuilding industrial town struggling with some waterfront development to try to get some of the tourists away from Cassis, they showed me an old run down movie theater - Eden Theatre. According to the plaque, this is the site of the very first showing of a motion picture in the whole world. Hollywood began here. Amazing!

The Mediteranean was beautiful, even in the rain. We could see clear skies moving towards us from the south. Looks like a clear day tomorrow. We returned to their home for a wonderful dinner. There was lots of talk about the church, family life, youth activites in the church, religious education. They were very interested in what we are doing at St. John's. They started up the computer and I had a chance to show them around on our website. I still had some pictures of the Giving Tree sorting on my cell phone. That really impressed them, especially the range of ages involved in the sorting process.

I need to pack an overnight bag before bed tonight. The Garde's are picking me up in the morning to take me to the Basilica of St-Maximin to concelebrate the 10:30 Mass. The visit with the Bishop is on. I will be back here on Monday evening for a full accounting.

I was thinking how all of this socializing must sound. Not much like a retreat I bet. But people I meet - at meals at the retreat center, in the two homes where I have been a guest - are all interested in how Americans, with our image abroad of wasteful, extravagant, consumeristic, and individualistic society practice the faith. I really am praying. I really am attending the Offices of the Day and concelebrating at Mass. But I am also talking about religion and faith with people who share values and are often incredulous (and a bit jealous) about the things happening in the American church. The church in France is suffering even worse than we are from an image problem. These are people who are very pessimistic about what is happening in their parishes. So the minority come to a place like La Sainte-Baume because they see little life in the local faith communities. I am convinced that some of the people who I met here and who told me they would like to visit the USA will do so. I think St. John Neumann needs to gear up for a small Legion of French Foreign visitors sometime in the future. I am inviting them all to come and see.

Happy Sunday tomorrow
Bonne Nuit