Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sacred Triduum

It is Holy Saturday. The windows are wide open in my room and city of Rome seems very quiet today. I usually hear traffic up the Via Gianicolo, just beyond the wall. Last night, I attended the celebration of the Lord's Passion at St. Peter's Basilica. There are no pictures from last night. I was running a bit late. Sopme of the priests were waiting for me and so I forgot the camera. Even so, there would have very limited opportunity to take pictures.

All the priests who were invited to distribute Holy Communion were again gathered in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel. The tabernacle was still dcorated with all the candles and flowers. (There was a white Hydrangea with a fuller flower and crinkled edges to the petals. I have never seen them before. I made a mental note to check out the florists when I get home to locate a supply of them.) The fathers were much lest talkative, and were seated in a spirit of prayer and reflection. Not a good setting for standing and clicking cameras. After a short while, the cardinals - about 20 of them - joined us in the chapel as they were preparing to vest for the liturgy.

We walked out into the basilica and this time, I was seated behind the altar with a completely obstructed view of the Holy Father. His chair was placed along the side of the nave at the base of one the pillars supporting the dome. Just about where I was seated for Holy Thursday. So I thought it would be tedious. But then came the chanting of the Passion. I could not see any of the deacons, or the choir - only the glorious sound of the chanting resonnating in the vast space of St. Peter's

The highlight of the service was the chanting of the Passion of John. Three deacons and the choir joined in the proclamation of the Passion. When it came time for the crowds to speak, the choir sang full voice in at least 6 parts. The chanting by the three deacons was unbelievable. Everything I has learned in music school about the origin of harmony in music was happening. In the days when single line chant was sung in large open spaces, it was noticed that the echo would provide harmony as various ptiches were sung into the space. Tonight, the lines of the chant would end with a descending three-note pattern and the building's acoustics returned a perfectly tuned three-note chord. I'm still getting chills from the experience. Unfortunately it is a combination of "you had to be there" and "familiarity with history of music." In the chant setting, the narrator was a baritone, Jesus was a bass and the voices sung by a tenor.

As I followed the line of Eucharistic Ministers, I was given a place in the center aisle. The rows were occupied by several bishops, and major superiors of religious orders. After I gave them Holy Communion, I went to the back of the church and there, distributed communion to the faithful. Again, a powerful experience of young people, parents holding children, the many religious - a huge crowd with a great reverence; the act of receiving the Lord while standing in the one of the most amazing places on earth, doing one of the simplest gestures on earth.

As I was leaving the Blessed Sacrament chapel, the service was just about to end. I said to one of the priests, "I wish I knew what route the Holy Father will take as he leaves the basilica." One of the Swiss guards was standing close enough to hear me, and said, "Father, follow me" He took us all the way the back of the basilica. The crowds parted like the Red Sea before Moses. He pointed to a railing that was still vacant. Then he said, "don't move from here". In about 10 minutes, I was 6 feet away from Pope Benedict.

Back at the seminary, it was a light supper of the traditional Italian tuna salad with white beans. A quiet evening of reading and bit of online research.

It is now 4:00PM Rome time on Holy Saturday. I spent about 5 hours practicing today. Im going to rest a bit and get ready to go to St. Peter's for the Great Vigil.

I sent home some incense which I bought in Jerusalem. Fr. Rodney plans on using it at the Easter Vigil at St. John Neumann. A little way of my being there with you.
Blessings everyone.