Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Last Pictures from the Holy Land

On the day after our return to Rome from the Holy Land, I decided to sleep in. I did some practicing for a couple of hours. A few of us decided to go to Santa Maria in Trastevere for Mass followed by a nice dinner at one of the many restaraunts in the Trastevere area.

It was then that I realized that there were a few more pictures in the camera from the Holy Land that I have not downloaded until today. Sorry for the delay. I've been catching up on some rest after the very hectic schedule on the pilgrimage. On the way to the airport we stopped at one more important shrines that I saw. I got to spend time next to the relics of the saint. The frescoes were some of the most brilliant I have seen. I think that the message of this place is crucial to connecting the ancient, timeless messages of the Holy Land with our modern life.

Just keep scrolling down. There are five pictures.































The shrine to America on the way to Ben Gurion Airport
















Standing beside the finely crafted statue of the patron.






























Like many of the more ancient frescoes we saw, these also tell the story of the patron's life work.















Frescoes depicting the patron in more youthful days.















Fellow devotees waiting for the feast to begin.
 I hope this final chapter helps you to appreciate the well-rounded experience of our 9 day pilgrimage to the Holy Land.